Dilwara Jain Temple
The Dilwara Temple or Delvada Temple is a group of five temples. They are located in Mount Abu Nagar in the Sirohi district of Rajasthan. These temples were built between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries. These magnificent temples are dedicated to the Rathithkars of Jainism. Among the temples of Dilwara, ‘Vimal Vasahi Temple’ is the most ancient dedicated to the first Ratithkar which was built in 1031 AD. The ‘Lun Vasahi Temple’ dedicated to the twenty-second Ratithkar Neminath is also very popular. This temple was built in 1231 AD by two brothers named Vastupala and Tejpal. The five temples in the Dilwara Jain temple complex are of marble. About 48 pillars of the temples have figures of dancers. The temples and sculptures of Dilwara are excellent examples of temple building art.
History of Delaware temple
These temples were built during the eleventh and thirteenth centuries by two brothers named Raja Vastupala and Tejpal. Among the temples of Dilwara, ‘Vimal Vasahi Temple’ is the most ancient dedicated to the first Ratithkar which was built in 1031 AD.
The ‘Lun Vasahi Temple’ dedicated to the twenty-second Ratithkar Neminath is also very popular. The amazing workmanship of these temples is worth seeing. Known for its historical significance and the magic of intricate carving on marble stones, these world-famous temples in the Sirohi district of the state have such a unique treasure of craftsmanship that cannot be seen anywhere else in the world.
The idol of Adinath in this temple has eyes made of real diamonds and has a necklace of precious gems around his neck. Along with the Tirthankara, statues of Hindu deities are also installed in these temples. The temples have an excellent entrance. There is a simplicity of architecture here that reflects Jain values such as honesty and frugality.
Completely carved with white marble, this temple was built in 1031 AD by Vimal Shah, the minister of Chaulukya king Bhima I of Gujarat. This temple is dedicated to Jain Mahatma Adinath. The temple is situated in an open courtyard surrounded by a corridor with small statues of pilgrims.
The rich mosaic corridors, pillars, arches, and mandapas or temple porticos can be seen here surprisingly. Carvings of lotus buds, petals, flowers and scenes from Jain Puranas are engraved on the roofs. Guda Mandap is a main attraction of the temple, in which many images of Shri Adinath are carved.
Luna Vasahi Temple Luna Wasih Temple is dedicated to Lord Neminath. This grand temple was built in 1230 by two Porvad brothers, Vastupala and Tejpal, who were rulers of Wahela in Gujarat. This temple was built after the Vimal Wasih Temple in memory of his late brother Luna.
The main hall of the temple, known as Rang Mandap, is known for its sculptures of 360 small Tirthankaras. The Hathishala or Elephant Room of this temple is characterized by finely polished 10 beautiful marble elephants and given them in real form.
The Guda Mandap has a black marble statue of the 22nd Tirthankara Neminath. To the left of the temple is a large black pillar built by Maharana Kumbh of Mewar.
This temple was built by Bhim Shah, the minister of Sultan Dada of Ahmedabad. A huge metal statue of the first Tirthankara Rishi Dev (Adinath) molded into five metals is installed in the temple.
Basic metals have been used in the construction of this statue; hence its name is Pitlahar. The temple houses the main sanctum sanctorum, the Good Mandap and the Navachak. According to the inscription located in the temple, the statue weighing 108 moods (four metric tons) was revered in 1468-69 AD.
Shree Parshwanath Temple
This temple dedicated to Lord Parshvanath was built by Mandalik and his family in 1458-59. Lord Parshvanath was the 23rd Tirthankara of Jainism. It is a three-story building, which is the tallest of all the temples of Dilwara.
There are four huge pavilions on the ground floor on the four faces of the sanctum sanctorum. On the outer walls of the temple are beautiful sculptures in gray sandstone which include Dixit, Vidhadevani, Yaksha, syllables and other ornamental artifacts, which resemble the temples of Khajuraho and Konark.
Shri Mahavir Swamy Temple
Mahavir Swami was the 24th Tirthankara of Jainism. This temple is a small structure built in 1582 which is dedicated to Lord Mahavira. Being small, it is a wonderful temple with carvings on the walls. The upper walls of this temple are painted in 1764 by Srirohi’s artists.
Thousands of devotees visit this pilgrimage of religious importance every year. This ancient temple also attracts tourists with its attractive charm. It is believed that the artisans who completed the marble work were paid according to the dust collected which led to more sophisticated designs.
These exquisitely carved temples are one of the most popular attractions in Rajasthan. The extraordinary craftsmanship and architecture of these temples are equally appreciated.